Mummy’s Wish is dedicated to the provision of practical support that keeps families functioning during mums’ cancer treatment.
We are the only Australian independent charity dedicated to providing practical support to mums who are diagnosed with cancer while their children are young (under 13).
Criteria and eligibility for support
Our service is non-means tested and available throughout Australia. For a mum to be eligible to receive support from Mummy’s Wish, she must:
- Have a current diagnosis of cancer by an Australian Medical Specialist and be receiving specialist approved treatment
- Have at least one child aged under 13
- A referral to Mummy’s Wish can be made at any stage from initial diagnosis to mid-way through treatment or when receiving palliative care
What type of support and assistance do mums receive?
Once we have received a completed registration (must be either from a GP, Nurse, Hospital Social Worker or Treating Specialist or a self-referral with accompanying documents) each mum is assigned a Support Coordinator who will work with them to navigate a practical pathway through cancer treatment.
We understand every family is different and the support and information provided will be tailored specifically to each mum’s needs. We take into consideration their diagnosis, existing support network, age of their children and, most importantly, what they feel comfortable with support-wise.
Each mum who is registered with us will receive a Mummy’s Wish Care Pack which includes relevant information and resources including ‘Dealing with Cancer: A guide for mums with cancer’, therapeutic books to explore with their children and a voice-recordable Comfort Bear for each child under 13.
We also provide:
- A friendly chat with someone who understands the challenges of trying to juggle a young family and cancer treatment
- Resources to help you talk to your kids about your illness and treatment
- Practical support tailored to meet your needs – these could include house cleaning, arranging delivery of nutritious family meals during treatment, gardening or other tailored practical support
- Information and referrals to other support agencies best suited to the family’s needs
- Opportunities to connect with other mums in the Mummy’s Wish Private Mum’s Group—a closed Facebook group specifically for mums undergoing cancer treatment to share thoughts, worries or even just funny memes with other women who are juggling motherhood with cancer treatment
- Memory making tips and resources for mums given a poor prognosis
Support Coordinators stay in touch with each mum throughout their treatment, checking in from time to time, to help minimise the distressing impact a cancer diagnosis can have on a family. We do our best to help you be able to focus on the most important things—getting well and being with your children.
How do I register myself or someone else?
To begin the registration process for yourself, a loved one or a patient/client, please fill in the form below and we will email out the registration form and the process from here.
If you are looking to register someone else (a loved one or patient/client) with cancer, please ensure you have discussed this with them before contacting Mummy’s Wish.
Most importantly, remember that we are here to help. Please feel free to contact us at any time if you have questions. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 1300 045 741.