How to create a Facebook fundraiser
The benefits of creating a Facebook fundraiser are numerous. You can encourage donations to Mummy’s Wish while increasing visibility for our work and mission by inviting friends to support your fundraiser, learn more about your cause, and donate. Facebook also makes raising funds easy, exciting, and secure: Fundraiser creators can set donation goals and track their progress toward those goals, and donors can enter their payment information securely and easily through Facebook.
With Facebook fundraisers, supporting mums with cancer only takes a few clicks! Are you ready to fundraise for Mummy’s Wish? Here’s how to get started.
1. Create your fundraiser
Log in to your Facebook account and click “Fundraisers” which will appear in the left menu of your news feed if you’re using a computer. The option to create a fundraiser also appears when you click on the downward arrow on the far right of the top toolbar for those on a smart phone/tablet. Alternatively, you can visit the Mummy’s Wish Facebook Page and click on the ‘Create Fundraiser’ button under the cover photo.
2. Click “Raise Money.”
3. Click “Get Started,” then select “Charity/Nonprofit” and search or select “Mummy’s Wish.”
4. Set up your fundraiser’s page.
Determine your personal fundraising goal as well as an end date for your fundraiser. (For example, you could create a fundraiser that runs through your entire birthday month or through the week of your birthday.)
Give your fundraiser a catchy and descriptive title and use your summary to explain why you think your Facebook friends should donate to Mummy’s Wish. Make it count! Share why the work done by Mummy’s Wish matters to you, how Mummy’s Wish has made an impact in your life (or the life of someone you know).
Next you will need to choose a cover image. On the cover image selection page you will see some options or to upload a photo of your own (which we recommend), click “Edit” in the right corner of the default cover photo, select “Upload New Photo,” and choose from your files.
Once you’ve picked out a cover image, click “Create” to make your fundraiser’s page available for everyone to see!
5. Spread the word.
Use the search tool to search for the names of friends you think will support your cause. Inviting all of your friends to participate will maximize your outreach—and so will talking about your fundraiser!
Post about your fundraiser on your Facebook and add a personalised note about why the Mummy’s Wish cause is important to you. You can take an extra step by emailing your contacts to notify them about your Facebook fundraiser, sharing the link to your fundraiser’s page, and asking them to contribute.
You can also reach out to friends over Facebook message. These steps will help increase your fundraiser’s visibility—and attract more donors.
6. Now that you’ve created your fundraiser, keep up the energy by monitoring its activity and sharing updates toward your goal.
Sharing your excitement will encourage people to join your cause. Let your friends know how your fundraiser is going by posting about milestones along the way (“We’ve hit 20 percent of our goal!”). You will be notified when donations and posts are made. Be sure to reply to any posts or comments and like and comment on people’s donation posts to thank them for supporting your fundraiser.
Tip: To edit, end or delete your fundraiser …
To edit details about your fundraiser, click “More” and then click “Edit Fundraiser.”
To delete your fundraiser, click “More” and then click “Delete Fundraiser.”
Important Notes about Privacy and Security
- Fundraisers can only be created by Facebook users who are 18 years of age or older.
- When you donate to a fundraiser, the charitable organisation to which you are donating and the creator of the fundraiser will be able to see your donation. However, the amount you donate will never be shared on Facebook.
- Donations made through Facebook to Mummy’s Wish are tax deductible.
- After you make a donation, a confirmation email from Facebook will be sent to the primary email address listed for your Facebook account. This confirmation shows that you’ve made this donation as a charitable contribution and that you are not receiving any goods or services in return.